Monday, February 14, 2011

How to

How to re-toast meringue:

(Leftover baked Alaska for dessert, just be careful of the wax paper!)

How to dance the flamenco:

We had a quiet Valentines, a few cards and goodies. The kiddos went to school, and Kyle and I went to lunch at Zachs....just side-to-side (as AR says, as in: so-so??) but still, they did the dishes! But I made a really great dinner: the Portuguese chicken from the new Bon Appetit, fresh pasta and bread. It was madly good, I recommend it (with one or two changes...mostly skinning the chicken pieces. Braised chicken skin/fat?? Gross!) Such fun for me to cook something new that I am really interested in. Liam's birthday usually gives me lots of opportunity for this but this year was more about the long cooking things he loves. Except the baked Alaska, that was great fun :)

4 comments:

  1. The pyros and a glamour puss!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was wondering how you browned the meringue in the first place - oven or blow torch. I saw your Mom's FB pics, and now this one. Which worked better?

    Abbie Rose has such style!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What drama! You guys really know how to do it up. Glad you got to have a little valentine time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amy, it is hard to tell which one was better as the meringue was pre-toasted and frozen the second time around...the oven worked well but you want the ice cream and cake really frozen first. Rose has requested this for her Birthday also so I might try the torch method next. I am also thinking it would be good to have a real culinary torch, they burn butane, a much cleaner flame. With something as plain as meringue you have to be careful of funny flavors.
    I am not sure how we got on the subject of flamenco dancing, but 3 videos on youtube was all it took for AR to decide a show was in order (complete with costumes and theme music!)

    ReplyDelete