Tuesday, February 1, 2011

A bowl of nostalgia

I have set myself a challenge, I will post SOMETHING every day for the next two months. We have a lot of celebrating coming up and I feel like this gets pushed to the side all the time so, we will see how well I do!

Today I want to tell you about dinner, I made chicken noodle soup using my Gram's recipe for noodles.

I don't really like them, they are too thick and gummy for my taste, but I sure like to make them. I remember watching my Gramma roll them out on the kitchen counter to put in the soup for my Dad. Liam and Kyle both love them too....maybe it is a guy thing??
Unfortunately the soup doesn't photograph well so I will give you a bowl of River instead:

I made this for her the other day, I think she looks so cute rolled up in it!

6 comments:

  1. Bowl of River does look pretty cute :). I remember watching Gram McCain make noodles - and like you, I find the memory and the making pretty neato. But I'd rather eat homemade pasta.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds delicious and sooo good on a cold day. Homemade soup is the best, canned doesn't really compare. But, I eat a lot of canned soup (it's often my lunch at work during the winter).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've rarely been able to get the noodles thin enough for my taste either. Haven't even bother to try making them for a very long time.

    Good luck on the posting! We will happily read whatever is put up. We check every day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tried making homemade noodles, too - they turned out "substantial" to say the least - I used to love Mom's :-)))) Thanks for sharing her recipe! Us kids all used to ask for them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. you didnt share?? mean! i bet they were delish. i always loved those noodles. total comfort food

    ReplyDelete
  6. I tried Mom's recipe again after reading this - with measurements as she wrote them, and rolled really, really as thin as I could!!!!! They were much better than my previous attempt, with very good flavor, too, but still not as thin as hers, as I remember - amazing - how did she get them soooo thin??!!!!

    ReplyDelete