Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Berry season


A short but nice trip up the Steese Highway to our favorite berry picking spot. We got about one and a half gallons of blueberries and had a nice time in some beautiful weather! We are experiencing a last ho-ra of summer up here in Fairbanks and have had temperatures in the 80s. A little warm for berry picking, hats are a must!

Abbie found a tiny frog in the puddle by our camp. She was convinced it was the same one the found last year and put in a bucket...

It was so hot the second day, we even 'encouraged' the dog to get her feet wet in the creek. She was not so happy to do so, but it did cut down on her panting for a bit.

4 comments:

  1. Look like delish berries. So, what do you do with all those berries? Sounds like you already have a lot of jam...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like WAY fun! Did you take the motor home? I see blueberry pancakes in your future...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! We're been eating a lot of blueberries too. I have a few bushes, but they are young and don't produce much, so we bought a huge carton of them. I love them in my cereal, pancakes, muffins, pies...

    Did you have to drag River into the river? It's hot here too! I'm glad you are having some last bits of fun before school!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The berries are soon to become several things: jelly, pie, pancakes, scones and vodka! I do have bunches of spruce jelly but I am the only one in my family who likes it, so we need more options. Kyle also eats blueberries in his smoothie most mornings.
    We did take the motor home and had blueberry pancakes for breakfast! I am thinking they would be so good in waffles :) I did have to drag River in the creek...she likes to lap the water and splash her toes a little, but she is just too small and hairless to enjoy these cold waters.

    ReplyDelete