Sunday, June 3, 2012

Perth

After a quick peek at the highlights of Sydney, Jessie and I left early the next morning for Perth. I was pleasantly surprised at how relaxed it was to fly domestic in Australia. We had great customer service from the Quantas folks and security was a breeze after traveling in the US. The flight is not too long after our long trek the day before, only about 5 hours.
Jessie booked a beautiful hotel for us with a view of the Perth skyline across the Swan River. Which was a good thing for me, I didn't listen to the advice of my pharmacist cousin and the jet lag and massive time difference really caught up with me. After plying me with orange juice, I was tucked up in bed to take a nap while Jessie did some wedding errands and picked up up some snacks for dinner.
With a view like this from our balcony, it is hard to think you are missing out on seeing Perth by chilling in your hotel room! We had a nice relaxing night watching TV, nibbling cheese and fruit and oohing over Jessie's beautiful wedding clothes. An excellent way to ride out a crash day, if you ask me!
The next day we were back at it early, we met Aunt Terry at the airport to pick up Justin, flying in from Carnarvon, and my folks, who spent an extra day in Sydney. Then we all caravaned on the 4 hour drive down to the Margaret River wine region for the wedding. http://www.margaretriver.com/ This picture was taken after we met up with Justin's mom, Heather and her partner Andy. Jessie and Justin made us reservations at Must wine bar.
http://www.must.com.au/MMRfolder/index.html If you have a napkin handy for the drool, check out some of the amazing things on their menu. The plate above was a shared entree (appetizer) with Mom and Dad. Head cheeses, potted meats, pickles and tapenade. Amazing!! Almost everyone had their dry-aged beef, but I couldn't resist the roasted rabbit gnocchi. A great kick-off to the wedding weekend!

5 comments:

  1. I'm just getting caught up this morning...Welcome home Leigh! I look forward to every pic you post :0) Can't believe it's a FIVE hour flight from Sydney to Perth (...how big IS Australia anyway ?) So glad you got to do this! You wrote that it was Winter there - does it get below freezing anywhere in Australia? The food looks amazing. Even so, I'd have to pass on the Head cheese. (If they could just call it something else - I might be willing to try :0) I'm looking forward to seeing more photos and hearing about your adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ken! AU is very big, it is a continent after all :) It was late fall/early winter as it is the southern hemisphere. The temps in Sydney were about what we left in AK, 70ish during the day to high 50's at night. The further north we traveled the warmer it is though, we saw some 90s in Carnarvon and Warroorah (more on those places later) I don't think it gets below freezing in very many places in Australia, maybe someplace much more southern and at a higher elevation. But no place we went, we barely saw single digits at night, in Celsius (very high 40s in Fahrenheit)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds nice! I noticed you guys were wearing coats in the first photo, and was wondering about the weather too. The rest sounded much needed, despite the city calling your name. And the evening outing looks like it was a success. Interesting food for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. For some perspective, a five hour flight equal Fairbanks to Seattle.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Us Alaskans were not really wearing coats in Sydney, I had on a t-shirt weight cardigan. Jessie on the other hand had on every warm thing she packed! Also, I maybe should have made 2 posts, the last two pictures are day 3 after a 4 hour drive to Margaret River. We traveled A LOT on this trip. I bought a good map that shows all the places we went, I'll see what I can find online to link too. Also Fairbanks-Seattle direct is only 3hrs 30 min. Wiki says Perth to Sydney is about 2000 miles and Fbks to Seattle is about 1500. Not sure why it would be so much longer in AU, maybe prevailing wind or earth rotation?

    ReplyDelete