Monday, June 29, 2009

Cuban Food





















A few months ago, we tried the new Cuban restaurant in town. (The food was pretty good, but it was really slow.) When I saw plantains for 45 cents each at Walsmart, I thought it would be fun to have cuban food at home. Ours is more tex-mexi-cubano but everyone still thought it was good. I made mashed plantains with mojo (lime juice, salt, pepper, and garlic), chicken thighs marinated in lemon juice, garlic, salt, pepper and chipotle chili, re-fried beans, tortillas, fried peppers and onions, and veggies. YUM!! The mojo in the plantains is supposed to have O.J. in it also but I had none, I think it needed it. They were really limey, but that went well with the spicy chicken. They were also very thick. After more research online I think they should have some olive oil mixed in. I will be trying them again, with some changes. (I should note, the kiddos didn't like the plantains...Liam ate a little with his chicken, but Abbie had a tiny taste. At least they will always try things, better luck next time with a new recipe.) I will definitely be making the chicken again. My family loves chicken and I am always looking for new ways to cook it.

8 comments:

  1. I admire your adventurous kitchen endeavors, as well as the willing-to-try-it taste buds of my nephew and niece!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It all sounds very good, I've always wondered how plantains tasted (see them made on TV) but they look like a lot of work. You, Mom and Amy are all so good in the kitchen and everyone appreciates your creations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. that's megan... not jason... it automatically puts him if I'm not paying attention...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Steve suggested that perhaps if you patted them into fritter-like patties and then refried them in the olive oil they might taste better with a little crustiness?

    ReplyDelete
  5. OOOOOOOoooooo, soooooo trying them fried in bacon fat for my breakfast tomorrow!!! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree .. we have home smoked bacon to ( one of the very last bits ) do it with as well.

    ReplyDelete