Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Spruce tip jelly


I have fond memories of eating spruce tip jelly at my Grandparents house as a girl. It has a memorable flavor...minty-ish, sweet, pine-ish. Kind of like walking through a spruce forest on a hot spring day. That might be why I associate the flavor with their house, lots of big pine trees all around it. I decided I had to try making some:

These are spruce tips, thanks to Stan and Lorna for letting me pick theirs. You want to pick the new growth while still soft.

Pick six cups...rinse and cover with water in a large pot. Simmer ten minutes and allow to steep overnight.

Strain the juice and boil with lemon juice, sugar, and pectin until set. Can in a water bath. I used this recipe. One batch is about five and a half pints.

It is good, but not exactly like I remembered. I think the next time I try, I will not boil the tips so long. The smell about half way through was closer to what I remembered. Still, it is good and also the first time I have made jelly! I have made jams and preserves before but never a clear jelly...success! I am already planning to have some with roasted duck next time we fire the big oven. I should also note, Kyle says his throat itches a little after tasting a big blop. So it may not be a good idea for people with spruce/pine allergies! Liam tried the syrup while I was boiling it and I can't convince him to try it again, he very politely told me it was not his favorite. Abbie will not try it at all, so maybe it is an acquired taste!

4 comments:

  1. Your only takers may be on the Swaim branch of the tree, assuming their memories of spruce jelly are as fond as yours! I'm willing to try some.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made spruce tip tea once. Eh.

    Interesting about the possible allergen business. May need a warning label on any jars you give away!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never heard of this until you mentioned making it - I can't imagine what it would taste like but would guess it would make a good accompaniment to roast duck. Congratulations on the jelly making anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it's good that you're trying to extend your family traditions/history, there are all kinds of interesting things people ate before cheeseburgers!

    ReplyDelete