Sunday, April 26, 2009

Good Dough


It is finally spring and time for pizza! At the beginning of a pizza party is the dough mixing time. I have one baking book with a whole chapter devoted to The Good Dough. What it should feel like, smell like, how wet or loose you dough should be. After lots of pizza prep days, I make dough entirely by feel. I know it needs to be a little stiff and dry to come off the peel and into the oven successfully.

I buy bread flour in twenty five pound bags from Sam's Club, the higher protein content is a must. Yeast and a little sugar, a good blop of olive oil and salt. Some sourdough adds a nice flavor and softer texture. Sometimes I add some rye flour for flavor. Nice warm water and lots of kneading.

I have been asked for a recipe, and I have written down approximate measurements, but it is really more of a feel. How much of each ingredient I add depends on the weather and how the flour and dough feels. It also depends on my mood, sometimes you just want to do something different!

3 comments:

  1. You do yeast breads so very well. You know I love to mess in the kitchen, but not so much with yeast. Mrs. Rhodes frozen rolls are my friend. Sad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uncle Ken told us a story about great-grandma Sara Eberhart who could bake pie crust, rolls and bread, that would melt in your mouth, all from scratch. She too would go by feel and never used a measuring spoon. Pretty impressive, if you ask me, both of you. I love your guys' pizza, it's the best. Wish we could party with you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish we were there too. Happy Birthday, Kyle!

    ReplyDelete