Friday, July 13, 2012

23 May

After a good nights sleep in Geraldton, we hit the road one last time on our way north. For those of you keeping track, Margaret River (the wedding locale) to Carnarvon (where my family lives) is about 1181 kilometres or 734 miles.
On the way we stopped at Billabong Roadhouse, one of the few places to stop on this stretch of road. Tiny and scenic, you kind of HAVE to stop there.
Another place you have to stop for a picture. The 26th parallel.
We also saw emus on this stretch of road. There is also a cow in the background of this shot.
Jessie and Justin's house!! Now I can picture where they are when we are skypeing! Yes, their house is on stilts, you could park a car in the section on the left of the stairs. Their laundry is also down there. The house is on a hill (the ONLY hill) overlooking Carnarvon with the ocean at the horizon. It was interesting to me how differently it is set up compared to Alaskan houses. The windows and decks are positioned to catch every tiny bit of wind to help keep the house cool. A big change from trying to keep in every bit of warmth.
Our day was capped by dinner at Robin and Jeff's house. Robin is Jessie's boss and friend who came here to Fairbanks for a visit last year. We had really great battered fried fish and chips with curried veg and a pavlova for dessert! A perfect treat after our long trek. I should also mention the dog...Abbie Rose gave me the stuffed dog to remember her by while I was gone. He kind of became our mascot for this trip, you will be seeing him again in more pictures :)

5 comments:

  1. Great blog - you missed your calling as a travel writer :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. And the saga continues! I'm with Amy, glad the story didn't end there, cause I know, there is a lot more to tell. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent! These photos are looking more like what I imagined Australia to look like. I'm surprised at how big the Emu looks! (...guess you wouldn't want to meet one in a dark alley...) And, the clear sky and strong sun remind me of Southern Arizona. Thanks Leigh...and keep the photos coming :0)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was beginning to think you were never going to continue! Silly since I've already heard the original version of the travelogue. Still fun to hear and see it again.

    ReplyDelete