Sunday, July 15, 2012

24 May a.m.

So this day ended up being mostly about food. We went shopping for supplies for our up coming camping trip, stopped at a great local-grown market, toured a few plantations, and had dinner at Aunt Terry's.
Giant prawns! The sad part of this picture is we forgot to eat them :P
I have a lot more pictures of the grocery store, but I will just post this one. This is the kid lunch snack aisle. I was maybe a little too fascinated by the differences in things to buy in the grocery store...I think I drove Justin a little batty!
This is at Morells, they are a family run produce shop. Everything they sell is grown on site, so you can imagine the quality.
Strange fruits I have never seen before? Yes please! The smaller ones to the right are a custard apple, the others are sour sop. We tried these both frozen and fresh (frozen was better) the texture is mooshy and you have to pick out the seeds. The flavour is like an apple but sweeter and creamy, not unlike how a banana seems creamy. The sour sop is similar but with a citrusy tang.
These are the amazing frozen fruit bars we ate almost every day while in Carnarvon. Morells is way to convenient to stop by on our way to anywhere, but can you really feel bad about eating them? They are made of puréed fruit and nothing else (unless you get the chocolate dipped ones) and they are frozen. As the temps were in the 80-90 range, I was more than ready for an ice cream!

2 comments:

  1. First of all, the quilt you made is beautiful! I got a kick out of the different kinds of fruit, the grocery store and the locally produced popsicles. (Go Morells!) Also, those are the biggest prawns I've ever seen! What do you do with them? If you were going to put them in Gumbo...you'd need a pot the size of cauldron. :0) Fun travel pics - keep them coming please!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are the biggest prawns I have seen too! I think they are called 'leader prawns' and I think they were intended to go in the steamboat Jessie and Justin made for us. We also had some smaller ones while camping, Jessie made us all shrimp cocktails, so sweet tasting and firm. Much more like seafood I remember eating in CA. instead of landlocked AK. The popsicles were so good, we had one every day and 2 on my last day in Carnarvon (I had to try every flavour!)

    ReplyDelete