Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Long ago...

Long ago, say two months ago, I told my sister Amy that I would make a blog post about how I cook salmon. Late though it is here is my post.



First you find some salmon, Leigh takes out the pin bones with a pair of clean pliers, then puts it into a bath of 2 cups orange juice, 4 tablespoons of oil, 1 teaspoon pepper, 2 teaspoons of salt. It bathes for about 20 minutes, while the fire is prepping.



Now that the fire is about right, say some 2 to three inch flames, on the definite decline. Place the salmon skin side down and close the lid. Damp the smokestack 2/3 to 3/4 of the way. Close the air vent 1/2 to 3/4. You are trying to maintain the 250 to 300 degree temp. 300 is really to hot.



After about 7-10 minutes your salmon should look like this. In the thicker portions the meat will flake about 1/2 in and still be rather bright in color.



Get your serving plate out and use a large spatula, I use the food service ones that are about 6-8" long, and slide it between the meat and the skin to remove from the grill. Cover the salmon with aluminum foil while the rest of dinner is laid out.



Eat however you like, in this case on a burger bun with lettuce, tomato and onions. with a side of Leigh's rice noodle and red pepper salad. She thinks it had lime and sesame oil on it. I have no idea it was a long time ago, remember?



A warning to all users: All measurements are ... "ish".

4 comments:

  1. I should add the comment that I do not use charcoal, this is actual wood. If you are on charcoal you would want the fire burned down to gray coals. I also don't know how the flavor will turn out with that smoke. I use cottonwood for my fires, when wet it makes a sweet smoke. When dry it is kinda neutral.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool Kyle! Jason will like to read this, he's the good cook around here. It sounds delicious. Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. About two months ago, not long after getting some tips from you over the phone, we grilled Dad-caught salmon. I did the marinade (hmmm - I did more oil than you suggested here - about 1 part oil to 3 parts OJ) and David ran the grill (gas - convenient, but I bet the cottonwood really adds something). Turned out delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kyle, you make it all sound so easy - just like a cooking show! I've never owned a barbecue. It was on my list for this house but at this point, I'll wait until I get to Vancouver. The salmon you prepared sounds absolutely delicious. Speaking of salmon, Eric and Christie spent almost $60.00 for two little fillets that made up maybe one of the slabs of fish you show above. (That Copper River stuff is WAY spendy.) I happened to see the wrapper/price when Christie got the fish ready to go onto the grill. I also want to learn how to roast veggies. I must be hungry this evening. All this talk of good food means it's time for Uncle Ken to go get a couple cookies and some milk :o)

    ReplyDelete