Tuesday, April 19, 2011

A Brand New Bag

I delivered the first of my pay-it-forward swaps from facebook today. For those not in the know, a status update was floating around allowing you to sign up to receive a handmade gift from someone if you were willing to post the same offer for the first 5 of your friends to sign up on your own status. I signed up on Amy's and she sent me a cool (purple!) scarf and flower clip, I am not so pressed for time so this is my first of five:

I have had a hard time deciding what to make for the people on my list...usually when I am crafting for someone I have a request or at least a recent conversation for inspiration. I decided to use these projects as an opportunity to practice techniques I enjoy or try out a new one. So I have made this style of giant bag several times, but I really like it. This one was made for a friend who is a teacher and volleyball coach at Liam's school (Tanana Junior High). Their colors are black and orange so I wanted to make something school spirit-ish but not plastered all over. So notice the orange 'bubbles', they are actually a lined hole in the main bag fabric, cool huh?
And it is also reversible to this flower side, reclaimed from a very frumpy skirt. As I said it is a GIANT bag, in these shots it is holding the blankie and pillows off our couch! I guess I should mention I also shared the three kinds of baked goods currently hanging around the house and a random small felt hungry thing that was made-up but never sold or given away.

So...hint-hint Megan, you are also on my list, any inspiration for me?

3 comments:

  1. My goodness, you are ambitious! Looks great, Leigh. Your pass it forward peeps are lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool! Inspiration, um, well... let me get back to you. I think your bag is cool, and way huge! You definitely are talented, and Amy is right, we are lucky recipients, no matter what it is you end up making.

    ReplyDelete
  3. it turned out way awesome, abbie says, can fit in it hehe

    ReplyDelete