Thursday, October 29, 2009

More food experiments


Today I made chicken bouillabaisse, a new recipe from cooks illustrated. I have not cooked with fennel or saffron before, but now I know I like both of them. Kyle and I enjoyed this dish and Liam liked it a little, Abbie liked the chicken and croutons. I was concerned the anise flavor would be overpowering, but it was subtle an went well with the other flavors (I did leave out the Pernod or Ouzo called for in the recipe. I could only find Ouzo and at $30 a fifth it got the axe.) The veggie stew part was good and the chicken was juicy but with crispy skin, yummy!! The part that really made everything pop was the rouille, the spicy, savory sauce you drizzle over the whole dish. I will definitely be making it again. Maybe next time I will try halibut, slightly more traditional for bouillabaisse!

1 comment:

  1. Wow sounds ambitious, and delicious! I think I'm a simple cook. I get too frustrated with too many steps, and nobody likes a frazzled cook. I'll have to come over to your house to try it some time.

    ReplyDelete