Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Birthday Treats

Liam decided today would be a better day to bring in his birthday treats to share with his class (they are exchanging valentines treats tomorrow). That meant I spent my morning frying doughnuts! Liam has only once taken cookies to share as a treat(kindergarten) and he has taken these doughnuts once before. These are my favorite recipe for spiced cake doughnuts, leavened with baking soda/baking powder instead of yeast. There is some yeast from the sourdough included but you don't allow them time to rise before frying.

Nice bubbly sourdough from the leftover yeast from a De Dolle Export Stout.

The cutting process, I made a triple batch of small ones. About fifty-five.

They went over really well, of course! Most people don't fry their own doughnuts anymore so I hear a lot of: "Oooooooo, just like my mom/gramma used to make!!" These things are still good the next day and not too greasy. Like I said my favorite recipe!

3 comments:

  1. I'm salivating, it's breakfast time and I want one! Mom(lorna) used to make doughnuts every once in a while. Yummmm... I would ask for the recipe, but I don't have a pot for frying in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Giggling about sourdough for elementary school started with fancy beer yeast! Megan, your bean pot will work fine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's amazing that you're making that sourdough with the De Dolle!

    ReplyDelete