Thursday, January 1, 2009

Power Tools

For Christmas this year, Stan and Lorna got me a professional Belgian waffle iron (thanks again!). I have the kids' cold from before Christmas and Kyle is recovering from mids shift and the weather outside is frightful!! It seemed like the perfect time to try out my new toy for dinner.

I tried out the recipe for Classic Belgian Waffles that came with the iron. It is leavened with yeast instead of baking powder. It also has a stick of butter in the batter, I may have to find a lower fat recipe if I plan on making these too often!

The iron worked very well, it gets hot really quickly and bakes the waffles perfectly. Most definitely a step up from my 12 year old model! The deep grids make for a very bready waffle with lots of flavor. Liam thinks they are the best things he has eaten! Abbie was not as enthusiastic, but she had fun decorating hers with powdered sugar and blackberries.


The recipe says these waffles are often served as part of a celebration, I think I agree. They are very good and it was great fun picking out your favorite toppings. Having a high speed iron makes it possible to serve these for a crowd, thanks again Stan and Lorna!

3 comments:

  1. Next time I come to visit, can we have Belgian waffles? Please?? The morning after a pizza and wine party???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely, they are soooooooooooo good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Belgian waffles are my favorite! Count me in!

    ReplyDelete